I no longer expect to walk through life unmolested by wrong-headed ideas about eating disorders, so instead I collect the markers of my dissent from the mainstream. Here are things to say to let me know that you and I don't know one another well:
10. She doesn't want to get well.
9. Everyone has a little bit of an eating disorder
8. It's all about having control over something
7. These skinny celebrities make me so mad
6. These parents .... (insert malfeasance of the week)
5. I wish I could have a little bit of anorexia
4. I already know all I need to know about eating disorders
3. If only these kids would understand how beautiful they are
2. My ex is the problem
1. He's an adult
10. That's a problem, but not hers: yours
9. Does everyone have a little bit of diabetes? MS?
8. What does that even mean?
7. Save the trip to Hollywood: you've got work to do here
6. Yeah, parents suck. All parents. Next question?
5. F*&$ you.
4. Anyone who thinks that really should not be caring for or around anyone with an eating disorder
3. If only we could talk people out of comas
2. You chose your ex, and your fates are inextricably linked, so you both have the problem
1. He's your child for life