Ubiquitous disordered eating and bad body image are:
- A sign that our society is sliding into collective anorexia/bulimia/binge eating disorder?
- Evidence that society is wicked?
- Proof that science education in schools is inadequate?
- One more sign of (choose your social cause)!
- Caused by a lack of food labelling?
- Driving people to choose eating disorders?
- Better than poking oneself in the eye with a sharp stick?
- An alarming trend that is fun to feel shame and gloat over?
- Just a condition of modern life?
- Allowing humans to unleash the powerful anti-anxiety drug of semi-starvation to save money on alcohol?
- Actually makes us healthier since now that we know, we'll all change?
- Pushing most people toward malnutrition that threatens cognitive, emotional, and medical health.
- Triggering mental illness in the minority of people with certain genetic profiles.
- Masking the presence of disabling anorexia and bulimia in individuals because the rest of us normalize being disordered about food and weight.